Welcome to Cornerstone’s website!!!
Cornerstone is the alcohol and drug abuse commission serving Greenwood, Edgefield, McCormick, and Abbeville counties. The agency provides prevention, intervention, treatment, and recovery support services for those persons impacted by substance abuse. The agency also provides services for those persons impacted by problem gambling.
Cornerstone’s vision is to operate efficiently and effectively in providing affordable, accessible, high quality alcohol and other drug abuse prevention, intervention and treatment services to the general public – as well as to special or high risk populations – in Greenwood, Edgefield, McCormick and Abbeville counties.
Please explore our website and learn more about our services and our staff.
Cornerstone’s mission is 1) to reduce the negative health, social and economic consequences resulting from the use and abuse of alcohol and other drugs, and 2) to coordinate, support and direct alcohol and other drug abuse services within Greenwood, Edgefield, McCormick and Abbeville counties.
As an agency, we seek to uphold five core values: Integrity, Respect, Charity, Dedication, and Excellence. This means that we are committed to:
- Providing quality care by evaluating our programs and services according to established standards of applicable health professions and regulatory bodies, and implementing changes as required.
- Assisting each client in attaining optimal outcomes within the limits of available resources.
- Maintaining a cost-effective institution through the use of sound business practices and practices that reflect social justice.
- Allocating adequate resources for the provision of appropriate services, programs, facilities and equipment.
- Working in partnership with other community, state and federal resources.
- Recruiting conscientious personnel and providing a safe and healthy work environment.
- Recognizing our employee’s unique contributions and offering them opportunities to maximize their potential.
The agency adheres to the S.C. Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services (DAODAS) standards and to the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control’s (DHEC) Licensing Standards. The agency is licensed annually following the satisfactory completion of the DHEC licensing survey. The agency also complies with the standards of – and is nationally accredited by – the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Cornerstone’s official business name is Greenwood-Edgefield-McCormick-Abbeville Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse or GEMACADA. The agency was established through Act 682 (Greenwood), Act 648 (Edgefield), Act 720 (McCormick), and Act R506, H2042 (Abbeville) of the Acts and Joint Resolutions of South Carolina, 1973, declaring the agency as the designated authority for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Programming, including prevention, intervention and treatment services in Greenwood, Edgefield, McCormick and Abbeville Counties pursuant to Act No. 301 of the Acts and Joint Resolutions of South Carolina, 1973, and Act No. 283 of the Acts and Joint Resolutions of South Carolina, 1975, known as the Local Government Acts.
Cornerstone firmly believes the Protected Health Information (“PHI”) of individuals must be treated with the utmost confidentiality and security. We comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”) privacy standards, the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (“HITECH”), the 42 C.F.R. Part 2 Federal confidentiality regulations, and other applicable federal and South Carolina state laws relating to patient privacy.